Thursday, December 23, 2010

A New Tradition

At the end of this semester I read "The Christmas Box" by Richard Paul Evans. It is his very first novel, the one that started everything for him, as he had never planned on being a writer. For some reason I had not read his first and most popular novel, although I have read almost all of his other books. I am very glad I finally did as it is contains an extremely important message. Then on the drive home from Utah this Christmas Break, I read "The Christmas Box Miracle: My Spiritual Journey of Destiny, Healing, and Hope" also by Richard Paul Evans. It is the amazing true story of the man who wrote the story, what made him who he was and lead him to that point, and then the story of how his novel became a #1 New York Times Bestseller and spread rapidly throughout the world, touching and changing lives everywhere. I was drawn in to the book from the very beginning and read the entire thing without a single break. I was blown away with how many miracles there were surrounding this novel and the unbelievably great amount of lives that were effected by reading it. It is an amazing story.

The following is a quote from "The Christmas Box Miracle":

“The Bible says that ‘God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty.’ There could be no better explanation of the Christmas Box Miracle than this; through a small Christmas story, thousands, maybe millions of lives are somehow affected for the better. And if I cannot fully explain these miracles, it is of small concern to me. I’m satisfied just to be a part of it—a journey where the end, perhaps, was known from the beginning. The words of my grandfather’s blessing have come to pass. But in the blessing there is also this warning and reminder: The greatest work you will ever do will be as a father in your own home.

When I step far enough from the tress to consider the forest, I wonder at the scope of the miracles wrought by this little book and I cannot help but marvel at my role in it and wonder, Why me? There are better writers and better people. Maybe I was just the only one listening when the story needed to be told. I intend to ask God, if I ever get the chance.”

The little 90 page book "The Christmas Box" really did change the world. Anyone who reads of all the people whose lives were touched can clearly see it. I decided that I want to start a new Christmas tradition for myself: I want to reread "The Christmas Box" every Christmas season. It is not a long book and so I think it will not be too difficult to take the time to read. The messages it carries are ones that we all need to remember. As it says at the beginning of the book, “I find that each passing Christmas the story of the Christmas Box is told less and needed more. So I record it now for all future generations to accept or dismiss it as seems them good. As for me, I believe. And it is, after all, my story.”

No comments:

Post a Comment